Food Bank of East Alabama
355 Industry Drive
Auburn, AL 36832
Phone: (334) 821-9006
Fax: (334) 821-4697
The Community Market, launched in January of 2003, functions as an extension of the Food Bank of East Alabama to provide direct food relief to low-income residents of Lee County. It offers client-choice food selection in a grocery store atmosphere at a convenient location on Pepperell Parkway in Opelika.
Feeding the hungry of our community by giving the needy access to available food resources.
The Community Market functions as an extension of the Food Bank of East Alabama.
The FBEA Community “Market” remains committed to supporting Lee County residents during the COVID-19 crisis. The Market prioritizes the health and safety of our community, volunteers, and staff. As a result, we have suspended client-choice shopping. Instead, we are scheduling appointments for perishable and nonperishable food distribution to eligible clients.
Brown Bag Program (seniors 60 and older)
Brown Bag food distribution for seniors continues on Monday and Tuesdays from 8:30 – 10:30 a.m., except for the fifth Monday and Tuesday of the month. For more information or to get an application for the program, contact the Community Market at 334-749-8844.
Process for getting help with food:
1. Call 334.749.8844 on Tuesdays after 10:00 am to make an appointment for Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday of the same week.
2. During the initial call, a staff member or volunteer will conduct an intake interview and information validation. Please have the following information available when calling:
- Amount of income for each household member
- Names and dates of birth for each household member
3. Once eligibility validation is complete, an appointment will be scheduled. Currently, appointment times are Wednesday-Friday 9:30 am -12:00 pm.
4. New customers must present a photo ID, proof of income, and proof of Lee County Residency (utility bill) upon arriving for your scheduled appointment. Please have these items readily available in an effort to avoid delays. Existing customers are required to present photo identification. A staff member will validate information before releasing the food.
We are, temporarily, not conducting any community food distribution-related activities on Saturdays. Saturdays are currently designated as our deep clean day each week.
Each day we are assessing the situation and making adjustments accordingly. We appreciate your patience and flexibility throughout the process as we work to serve the needs of Lee County and keep everyone healthy.
Volunteers are the bedrock of the Community Market and they play a very important role in helping to maintain an atmosphere of dignity and compassion. They assist people in need in a concrete, caring way. Volunteers are given instructions and are placed according to interest and need.
For more information or to volunteer, contact the Community Market at 334-749-8844 or email@example.com.
The outreach of the Community Market is made possible through community support. Overhead expenses are covered by support from local governments and organizations, and financial contributions from individuals, churches and civic clubs are transformed into food for hungry people. Donations are tax-deductible and can be mailed to 355 Industry Drive, Auburn, AL 36832.
Community Market Coordinator
3810-C Pepperell Parkway
Opelika, Alabama 36801
355 Industry Drive
Auburn, Alabama 36832