“Feeding the hungry of our community
by giving the needy access to available food resources.”
The Community Market, a program of the Food Bank of East Alabama, provides a friendly grocery-store environment for Lee County families in need.
- Client Choice that allows individuals to select what they need, rather than receiving pre-filled, generic bags or boxes.
- Regular hours, 6 days a week
- Seniors participating in the Brown Bag program are served Monday and Tuesday mornings.
- Families and individuals seeking assistance are served Wednesday through Saturday.
- Convenient location where Opelika and Auburn meet.
- Items available include pantry staples, perishable goods, frozen foods, fresh produce, cleaning products and personal care items.
- Professional full-time management by Food Bank Staff in collaboration with community volunteers.
- Screening and intake procedures that are welcoming, dignity-enhancing and friendly.
- Referrals are made to other community services and programs that may provide assistance to those who need additional help.
- A secure mechanism for area churches and individuals to channel resources to help those in need.
Who We Help:
- Senior citizens
- The working poor
- Single parents
- Abused and neglected persons
- Victims of domestic violence
- Mothers and infants at nutritional risk
- The newly unemployed
- Persons with disabilities or emotional illness
Volunteers are the bedrock of the Community Market and they play a very important role in helping to maintain an atmosphere of dignity and compassion. They assist people in need in a concrete, caring way. Volunteers are given written materials and instructions and are placed according to interest and need.
The outreach of the Community Market is made possible through community support. Overhead expenses are covered by support from local governments and organizations, and financial contributions from individuals, churches and civic clubs are transformed into food for hungry people. Donations are tax-deductible and can be mailed to 375 Industry Drive, Auburn, AL 36832.
How To Get Help:
If you have an emergency need for food, call 334-749-8844 to make an appointment for an interview. You will need to bring the following things when you come to the Community Market:
- Photo ID
- Social Security Card for each person in the household
- Verification of all sources of income
- Proof of residency in Lee County
- Community Market_Winter 2014 Newsletter
- Community Market_Oct. 2013 News letter
- Com_. Market_Spring 2013 NL
- Com_ Market_Winter 2012 NL
3810-C Pepperell Parkway
Opelika, Alabama 36801
375 Industry Drive
Auburn, Alabama 36832
For more information on this and other programs, contact the Food Bank of East Alabama at 334-821-9006.